Monday, September 10, 2007

This, too, shall pass...

Supposedly, there is a story relating to King Solomon which stated the famous phrase "This, too, shall pass". According to a little internet research I did, my good friend Abe Lincoln also made this statement as well as Darwin and probably everyone else at some point in their life. But, for some reason the Wikipedia sites don't mention all of our names.

Anyway, I got to thinking about this today when I heard Emily say "Hiiii". For her, it's a 2-syllable word. She starts it off with a fairly high pitch and then it drops lower as she gets to the end. You can't say "Hiiii" without having a smile on your face and I can't hear it without smiling either. So, what does this have to do with the previous paragraph? I got all reminiscent this afternoon when she said it and immediately thought, "Wow.. I've missed that. I haven't heard that in a while!" At the moment I kind of wished I had my camera or video camera so I could have caught it on video. She's changing so fast you never know when she's going to stop doing one of her tricks. Today might have been the last time I get to hear that before it's tucked away in her vault for good.

Emily loves to music. She knows where all the buttons are on her toys that play music and she will push a button, dance to the music and push the button again when the music stops. Savor the moment. This, too, shall pass.

We are still working on teaching Em some basic sign language. I remember a previous entry I wrote where I described how she signed "more" by looking like she was begging for food. This, too, shall pass... and it did. If you ask her to show you "more" now, she claps her hands lightly together. This, too, shall pass... and someday she will understand how to lightly tap her fingertips together to show the sign for "more". Or, she will look at me like I'm a moron and will actually say the word.

A week or so ago, Emily started doing her "Godfather" impersonation. She still does this on occasion, especially early in the morning right after I get her out of her crib. However, this, too, shall pass... and I need to catch it on videotape before it does!

Emily is a wee bit cranky and clingy this week while she's working on her 4th molar. This, too, shall pass and eventually she will be back to her normal cheery self. At least that's what I'm praying for!

Em is not impressed with TV, videos, movies... not even Elmo, Dora, The Wiggles or even The Doodlebops! We've played with an assortment of shows to see if there's anything that triggers her interest. So far, nothing. I'm sure this, too, shall pass. I imagine it won't be too long before we will be limiting how much and what she watches. I'm pretty glad she doesn't like TV. She would rather look at books or play with blocks.

Emily's heros and most favorite people in the whole-wide world right now are Mom, Dad, and RyRy... ahhhhhh, savor the moment, for yes, this, too, shall pass. (How many commas can a person fit in one sentence???)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh the memories....you are so right....they do pass by so quickly and those videos become fun memories...and thus the reason I too will go back and watch them again.....ahhhhh! Thanks for the reminder to savor every moment.

Beckie

Web Analytics