Monday, April 20, 2009

Eye Hurts, Nanny B, and other fun.

Emily's vocabulary is growing rapidly and we are having more conversations than ever before. Here's a recent one from a few mornings ago.

Em: Mommy, dis huwts. (Said while patting her stomach.)

Me: Oh, Emily, your tummy hurts?

Em: Yes.

Me: Does your tummy hurt because you're hungry?

Em: Yep.

Me: Then I think maybe we should go get some breakfast and fill your tummy up.

Em: Otay!

--- FAST FORWARD TO A FEW DAYS AGO ---

Em: Mommy, eye huwts.

Me: Oh, your eye hurts?

Em: Yep. Num-nums.

(In other words... her eye hurts because she's hungry.... hmmm, something's wrong with that theory, but amazingly her eye stopped hurting after she ate!)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Another not so fun story -

With April being child abuse prevention month, Emily and I pass a new bulletin board several times a week. The bulletin board depicts a close-up of a little girl crying and it really bothers Emily every time she sees it... to the point that she recognizes that billboard from the front or the back.

I recently asked Emily about it as we drove by. She told me, "Baby cry. Nanny B ows. Hurt." And then she showed me the sign that she uses for scared. Let me break it down for you. If you remember a few weeks ago I wrote this post. It's about Emily's most recent traumatic visit to Children's Hospital when Dr. B aka Nanny B was a little less than comforting to Emily. Tell me my mom's heart shouldn't break every time we drive by that sign and Emily's face turns from smiling and content to sad, scared, and sympathetic for that little girl on the billboard. I know Emily replays her doctor's visit over and over in her head whenever something reminds her of it. She also doesn't like to take off her shoes, socks, or roll up her pants for physical therapy because they asked us to do that at Children's that day as well. The last time we drove by the sign, I tried to see if I could help her think of other reasons why the baby might be crying... we talked about things like maybe her brother was mean to her, maybe she fell down while playing and scratched her knee, etc., etc.

- - - - - - - - - - -

This one doesn't involve Emily, unless it counts that she was in the car when I saw this.

We were driving by a produce stand last weekend and the sign out front said:

OPENING MAY 36 & 37.

Is there something I'm missing?

- - - - - - - - - - -

And I'll end with this one tonight:

We ate at the Hong Kong Buffet a few weeks ago. Not that I believe in these things, but Emily's fortune cookie read, "Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos."

That explains A LOT. 'Nuff said.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Have a great day and be blessed! (There's another new post after this one.)
-jenni

No comments:

Web Analytics