Thursday, September 17, 2009

She'll Take Care of Me

Em and I took a quick trip to the grocery store yesterday before supper. She knew what was on her shopping list. As she would say, "milk and..... TIC TACS!" (She and Tom have been bonding over orange tic tacs the past couple of weeks.)

As we went up and down the aisles she helped me find the carrots, the grapes (for her favorite recipe: Frozen Grapes! And, yes, there's an exclamation mark after it when she says it!), the spaghetti sauce, you get the idea.

While we were passing through the pasta aisle we passed an older gentleman who was riding in one of the motorized carts. Of course, in typical Emily fashion she very loudly asks, "What is that?!?" right as the man rolls beside her. In a more quiet voice, I told her those were his magic wheels and they help him be able to do his shopping. Without missing a beat, my little cherub started on a long discourse about when I'm old she will let me ride in the front seat of her shopping cart and she will take me shopping... and we'll get grapes and bananas and s'getti and milk and TIC TACS! (Yes, she yelled that part too.) And then she pulled my face close to hers so that our foreheads touched and our noses smooshed and she told me that she loved me.

Oh, little girl, I hope you still feel that way when I am old.

...and, good heavens, don't forget that on a previous grocery excursion you DID tell me that you would change my diapers when I was an old lady.

3 comments:

Karen said...

What a precious story! Thanks for sharing. :)
That reminds me of when Lauren and I go to her favorite park, the Railroad Park. They have a carousel and also a train and tracks that run a 10 minute ride all around the park. Toward the end of the trip around the park, as we are nearing a dark covered tunnel, she always grabs my hand tight and says, "Don't worry Mom, I'll keep you safe!" I love when they take care of us! :)

Alicia at OFA said...

Can that little one get any sweeter??

Just remember that moment when she's 16 or 17 and you catch her sneaking out the door at 2am to hang out with some silly old boy!

Marla said...

Awww, that's so sweet! Logan has told me that he will come over and paint our house when we are too old to do it, and do a couple other things for us, but it's been awhile ago, and I can't remember what he said now!

Web Analytics